need help building a monicle out of a gen 2 mx9166?

Discuss night vision equipment and technology

Moderator: Michael

need help building a monicle out of a gen 2 mx9166?

Postby orangerabbit » Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:07 pm

looking for any info on building one i.e what parts work best to attach to the tube? any help guys.
orangerabbit

Re: need help building a monicle out of a gen 2 mx9166?

Postby wellyot » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:32 am

if you are buying a monocular kit without tube then you will have to go for one that fits the wider tube you have as most now are made for the slim anvis and that is smaller - the d300 is one that would be ok if you can find one
wellyot

Postby orangerabbit » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:30 am

thanks I am thinking I can just use the tubes housing for the mane body, then just figure out what lenses will fit, or affix to the tube itself.
orangerabbit

Postby wellyot » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:40 am

check on ebay - sometimes you see the front or rear lenses for these - should bolt straight on if you can find some-
wellyot

Postby 45K40 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:57 pm

orangerabbit,

I believe you mean MX-9916 tube. I have made several monoculars using the original objective and eyepieces. If you don't have the small nut/lock/flat washers, take tube to model train store to find right ones. Mask off lenses and places that will get aluminum particles in. You break off/dremel the parts of the housing you don't want. Solder the +/- wires to a switch and batt box (2 AA batts recommended; 2 AAA for compact/lighter, but shorter batt life).
The best thing to use to join it all together is 5 Minute JB Weld. Clean the areas you want to attach switch and box with alcohol while wearing powder-free nitrile rubber gloves. Use Superglue (cyanoacrylate) sparingly to spot-weld the parts in place on the housing. Acetone is the solvent for oops moments. Mix up JB and apply with a 1/4" wide flat-tip screwdriver (like a spatula). Plan on applying small amounts at a time, building another layer after 20 minutes. JB Weld can be smoothed with a finger slightly wet with water to give final contour/shape. Sand if needed to blend contours.
Once cured for at least 24 hrs or more (the Sun on your car dashboard is your friend), clean everything with alcohol/fresh gloves to remove resins/silicone grease/tape adhesive residue. Skipping this step will cause fisheyes and poor paint adhesion!
Once cleaned, you can paint with color of choice. Don't be cheap and use Krylon or Dollar store spray-paint here. Oils from your hands/face will dissolve them and the coatings are thin. I use Rustoleum Grip-textured black or gray for a nice satin non-slip finish. Duracoat is an excellent choice. Either one you use, 2 coats 20 minutes apart and do the dashboard-bake all day before handling. I always put the objective & eyepiece on before the work starts. You can clean the lenses with alcohol easily; a drop of superglue or JB Weld on tube glass is not good! Use blue painters tape to mask where the lens & adjustable (greased) areas are. Extend both all the way out, then tape.
A nice touch is to build your device so the hole with the screw insert is at 6 o'clock. This will be your mounting screw point for wrist lanyard from a camera or flashlight, or a lens cap lanyard. Wrist lanyard highly recommended! To protect your objective, go to a gunstore/show and obtain a flip-up scope cap (measure O.D. of obj first). Obtain a padded pistol/camera pouch and demister shield for eyepiece. Find old binococular rubber eyeshields and attach to eyepiece with Gray Ultra-high-strength RTV (from auto parts store). Let cure for 48 or more hrs before using.
That is how I did mine,

45K40
"See all evil."
45K40

Postby orangerabbit » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:56 pm

45k49,
thank you for all the great ideas and a very well detailed plan! I have some ideas, like the 123a lithium 3v by surefire as I have a older housing with functional ir light and all the wires work I have a small 27mm lens for now till I can have it running. then I will be looking for a magnifier to view starlight and other adventures at night like catching those kids popping tires :lol: I was also wondering how far the input lens needs to be from the objective lense internally? thanks againe.
orangerabbit

Postby kaveman » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:30 am

It does look like we're shopping the same auctions and working on identical projects. First the Cyber Eye,....now the MX-9916 tubes. What started me off was a homemade hybrid monocular shown below. It's just one side of a PVS-5 stripped out of the facemask with a dual AA battery pack grafted on. Works very well with and without the ir that's incorporated in the battery pack. I purchased a pair of PVS-5s about the same time so my project pile is getting pretty big.

Even though the NOS MX-9916 tubes were a great deal as were the busted Cyber Eyes, I think the best route is to just locate a PVS-5 goggle in working condition. Strip one down and you have two complete monoculars with lenses that just need a battery pack. My working PVS-5C cost me $500 and my non-working set was $300,........and I'm sure the non-working set is a wiring problem that will go away once I tear down the goggle. Each PVS-5 breaks down into two monoculars, so they're incredibly cheap for what you're getting.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kaveman

Return to General Night Vision Discussion