star light scope power

Discuss night vision equipment and technology

Moderator: Michael

star light scope power

Postby Croz » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:17 pm

I was fortunate to come across a star light scope from the Viet Nam era. I would like to see if this will power up. The scope is a MX-7901/TVS-4 FSN 5855-053-3142. My question is that I see the place to attach the power inverter on the right side but there is a second electrical port near the first one. Anyone know what that second electrical port might be used for. Both ports are covered with identical caps. The second port when unscrewed I see some blade contacts and I figure that something must go in there to complete the circuit. According to the manual I found on line that some device called a "contact" fits in there. Any help would be appreciated. This is a tripod mounted scope not a weapon mounted scope.
Croz

Re: star light scope power

Postby 45K40 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:50 am

Croz,

The power supply assembly consists of a power supply housing, a 6.75-volt mercury cell battery, a high-voltage oscillator, wiring, and a toggle
switch. What you are missing is the 6.75vdc batt. The 6.75-volt battery energizes the oscillator. The oscillator supplies 2800 volts ac (alternating current) to the voltage multiplier on the image intensifier assembly.Good luck on finding a serviceable batt as they are way out of production since the '80s. Some guys build a batt pack and clip it on; or some machine a surrogate adapter to fit the housing and have an external cable/batt pack. Scope uses a 3-stage I2 tube. More info here:
http://www.liberatedmanuals.com/TM-11-5855-237-13.pdf

This may apply as well (I think threads are same) :
http://www.prc68.com/I/TVS2.shtml

The 237-23P manual shows repair parts; it is available free at a few sites,

45K40
"See all evil."
45K40

Re: star light scope power

Postby Croz » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:02 pm

Hey thanks 45K40. All your info is welcomed. I have reviewed the links and as a result have been able to order the needed power adapter and the oscillator. Once these items arrive I will see if I can resurrect this oldie but goodie. Once again..THANKS. CROZ
Croz

Return to General Night Vision Discussion