My DIY projects based on EEV P8079HP tube

Discuss night vision equipment and technology

Moderator: Michael

My DIY projects based on EEV P8079HP tube

Postby brainbyte » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:41 am

Greetings everyone,

First, I would like to present my many thanks to David (cj7hawk), because the information he provided in his forum and on other NV/astronomy related forums, has gotten me into this and made me decide to start and build my own NV related projects.

Second, I know that most of you are already familiar with "DIY NV spotting scope" projects based on the "EEV P8079HP" intensifier tubes, posted on several other forums, but I thought to give it a try and present my own finished projects here. So here it goes ...

The first tube was bought in 2013, when I have completed my first project, and the second one in 2014. The other materials I used in these two projects, as follows:

- objective part - Minolta Rokkor 50 mm F/1.7 (Made in Japan) & Helios-44 58 mm F/2 (Made in Russia)
- ocular part - both NV scopes use the oculars taken from a Bushnell Varmint day scope & an old nameless Russia made scope
- the power supply on both is based on 4xAA battery holder box with an USB port available - I get a voltage of around 6.4V for the tube
- an USB "pigtail" cable coming from the tube to the power supply box
- a handle from a small plastic briefcase and a sling (these were attached to my first NV scope project, for easy carry)
- a rubber eye cup (attached to my second NV scope project)
- other parts as in PVC caps / tubing, a lot of duct tape, tie-wraps, glue for bonding some parts together, velcro bands, etc.

The ocular optics mounted on both scopes allowed me to have a very generous eye-relief of at least 3 - 4 centimeters, maybe more. So I don`t need to keep my eye close to the ocular lens in order to see the full FOV. Both objectives have a manual operated iris, as well as manual operated focus ring. Having the iris is very good for those moments when there is too much light around, in order to protect the tube.

Unfortunately, I haven`t had the chance to take any photos during the planning & build phases on both these scopes, as I never thought I would post them on-line. But I have some photos that I took recently, especially for this forum presentation. I am not sure if my "DIY NV scopes" below look more or less "ugly" than anything else you have seen so far, but I have built them myself, they work perfectly both in functionality and light gain, and most of all, I got to own a piece of NV technology which is mine. So any opinion from your side, would be more than welcome and truly appreciated. Thank you very much.

And these are the photos ... first project built.

... second project built.

The last picture above shows two extra power connectors beside the USB "pigtail", added on the second NV scope project. This allows me to power the scope using other external / portable power supply options, not necessarily the 4xAA battery holder box attached.

So thank you once again for reading my post, and I will follow up shortly with photos taken at night time, using both NV scopes.

Best regards
Last edited by brainbyte on Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:38 am, edited 3 times in total.
brainbyte

Re: My DIY projects based on EEV P8079HP tube

Postby brainbyte » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:49 am

Some of the photos I posted above, appear to be truncated for some odd reason. They are not displayed entirely, but you can just click on them and go directly to my Photobucket album.
brainbyte

Postby Boatswain » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:07 pm

Nice work, and you know the trick now. Sokeep lookingfor better tubes and lenses and you will never be bored for years :)
Boatswain

Postby brainbyte » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:06 pm

Thank you for your appreciation. These tubes are just great, as I have already tested them outside in complete darkness without no IR source, and they do the work. Unfortunately I had no chance to take some pictures with the "green" so far, but I am currently working on it.
brainbyte

Postby cj7hawk » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:34 pm

Nice job on the project - Very professional looking :)

David
cj7hawk

Postby brainbyte » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:43 am

Thank you, David. I wish you could see the "green" :) ... you would be really impressed of their performance, for what these tubes are, and even with an F 2.0 objective aperture. It seems that the optics makes it all. But I promise that tonight I will take some pictures through them, and post them here.

Best regards
brainbyte

Postby brainbyte » Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:17 am

... these are some pictures taken in a completely darkened room, using my first P8079HP cascade built project. The only source of light in the room were two status LEDs from my PC keyboard and my laptop. The first picture is taken of a paper target from a distance of 1,5 meters, and the second picture of a wallpaper from a distance of 2 meters. Very good resolution, but strong eye-fish effect when tube is used at very close distances.

F 1.7 - objective iris open at maximum

--- and these are pictures taken using my second P8079HP cascade built project.

F 2.0 - objective iris open at maximum

The performance on both tubes is impressive. The gain and resolution are very good. And me personally, I can leave aside the fish-eye effect. I will follow-up with pictures taken outdoors, at night, and if possible in a remote rural area without light pollution.
brainbyte

Postby shadowman » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:04 am

Nice job and pretty pics !
Your tubes have very good performances !
shadowman

Postby brainbyte » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:26 am

Thank you very much, Shadowman, for your appreciation.

Now, I have only one P8079HP tube left, as I managed to sell the first one last month, in order to get some money for a new NV project. And when I am thinking back when I took the pictures, that the only illumination in the room came from two LED`s from my PC keyboard and laptop and total darkness in the rest, I can`t stop being amazed myself. My big satisfaction is that I have built them by myself, they are rugged and tough as nails (because of the PVC housing), they work well above my expectations, and I have gained a lot of knowledge in the process. The last 3 pictures from this thread are from the second P8079HP cascade tube that I still have. And the objective aperture is only F/2.0. Just think if I would replace that objective with a F/1.4 ... which I already have on my eBAY "watch list" :). So, more to come ...
I have another completed NV monocular project based on a GEN 2+ tube inside, and I am going to put that in a new "DIY" thread on the forum, I hope later on today, if I have enough time. Wait to see how that one was built, and what materials I have used for it ... :). You would laugh.

Best regards
brainbyte

Return to General Night Vision Discussion