Production ENVIS J-arm adapter

Discuss night vision equipment and technology

Moderator: Michael

Production ENVIS J-arm adapter

Postby Stanley » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:06 am

Appears someone finally made a production run of quality ENVIS j-arm adapters.

They seem to only be available on ebay at the moment.

Here's some images grabbed from the ebay ad:

Stanley

Re: Production ENVIS J-arm adapter

Postby cj7hawk » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:02 pm

Some nice work on this one - :) And a clever way to approach the problem also.

David
cj7hawk

Postby Stanley » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:03 am

Couldn't help thinking this was your work. I remember you'd mention you were working with someone in the US on an ENVIS J-arm adapter.

Whomever is manufacturing this should have Aurora Tactical stock and advertise this.

The Aluminum J-arm adapter solves the helmet mounting problem, however the most rugged and reliable weapons mounting point will still be the Infinity Focus Stop Ring (IFSR), especially if the ring material is aluminum or some other high strength metal material.

As for weapons mounting, it is still best to use a rock solid IFSR weapons mount like the Alamo DLOC QD http://www.alamofourstar.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&product_id=16&flypage=flypage-ask.tpl&pop=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=2

Alamo Four Star DLOC QD Mount

I've also attached an annotated picture of the ENVIS core components to show just how just how rock solid the core component of the ENVIS are.

*Click on image to view full complete image*
*Gray box is redacted text*
Stanley

Postby cj7hawk » Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:34 pm

Hi Stan,

No, it's not mine, and it looks a little more heavy-duty than mine - though I'm not sure if it needs to be -

Mine is far simpler and uses 3D printed parts now - I updated the design, but never went much beyond that -

A simpler, lighter alternative, but it wouldn't be as strong - There's a lot of aluminium in that other mount, even if it is cantilevered around the entire housing.

Mind you, ABS plastic is well strong enough for the job, but if someone ever grabbed and pulled until something snapped, I don't know if it would be the J-arm, the part or the mount-point on the housing that would break -

David
cj7hawk

Postby Stanley » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:21 pm

To bad, I was hoping this was a piece you'd worked on! Guess someone else was also paying close attention to the needs of ENVIS owner.

Considering safety is the single most important requirement, at least when it comes to NV mounting. The Al mount, at least at first glance, seems to meet that requirement, though the safest would still be an IFSR mount, especially if the IFSR is Al or other high strength material.

As for your adapter, I'd be more concerned with the safety of the OEM stud than your material integrity of the adapter, the stud is press fit and can, with little force, dislodge from the rest of the housing, a recipe for a serious safely/heath hazard concern.
Stanley

Postby Dino1130 » Thu May 15, 2014 12:36 pm

I love the Envis. If only they would redesign the on/off switch. Everything else is rock solid. Such a nice scope and they put a crappy switch in it. :D
I said I never had much use for one. Never said I didn’t know how to use it.
Dino1130

Postby JTICH » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:01 pm

cj7hawk wrote:Hi Stan,

No, it's not mine, and it looks a little more heavy-duty than mine - though I'm not sure if it needs to be -

Mine is far simpler and uses 3D printed parts now - I updated the design, but never went much beyond that -

A simpler, lighter alternative, but it wouldn't be as strong - There's a lot of aluminium in that other mount, even if it is cantilevered around the entire housing.

Mind you, ABS plastic is well strong enough for the job, but if someone ever grabbed and pulled until something snapped, I don't know if it would be the J-arm, the part or the mount-point on the housing that would break -

David

I would like to buy one of these please.
JTICH

Return to General Night Vision Discussion