Call from Homeland Security...

Discuss night vision equipment and technology

Moderator: Michael

Re: Call from Homeland Security...

Postby crye-baby » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:30 pm

:D
Last edited by crye-baby on Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Former PEQ-15 User - ya Win some... & ya Lose some...........
crye-baby

Postby Dino1130 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:18 pm

Last edited by Dino1130 on Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I said I never had much use for one. Never said I didn’t know how to use it.
Dino1130

Postby efahrenholz » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:32 pm

Ehhhh, I wouldn't go around suggesting to lose dataplates but more often than not, you'll see some equipment come up for sale on eBay with missing/dremeled data plates. Check the eBay photos to see if the serial you have matches the serial that might be in the item description and photos.

He's right though, if the laser you bought didn't have a data plate or was unreadable then homeland security might have you confused with someone else.
efahrenholz

Postby crye-baby » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:57 pm

Last edited by crye-baby on Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crye-baby

Postby efahrenholz » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:07 pm

You can't trust the seller, just as much as you can't trust this other guy. Just wait for the officials to come speak with you in person and make sure you ask to see a badge. If they want it, tell them you can't drive anywhere to drop it of and they will have to pick it up from you.
efahrenholz

Postby Dino1130 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:16 pm

Last edited by Dino1130 on Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I said I never had much use for one. Never said I didn’t know how to use it.
Dino1130

Postby crye-baby » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:17 pm

What a huge (But interesting) headache :wink: Im dying to ask the seller where the device came from...
crye-baby

Postby efahrenholz » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:49 pm

crye-baby wrote:What a huge (But interesting) headache :wink: Im dying to ask the seller where the device came from...

I'm a bit on the paranoid side, and I'd assume you can't trust what story the guy tells you as much as you can't believe that homeland security wants your laser. Like I said, wait for them to make a personal appearance. Dino is right--court documentation is a must for them to seize even the air on your property. Otherwise they have no legal grounds to even step foot there and you could sue the dickens out of them.
efahrenholz

Postby crye-baby » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:02 am

Last edited by crye-baby on Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crye-baby

Postby crye-baby » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:37 am

What's your take on just calling Insight Tech & asking them to run the serial # for me guy's. Would that just open up another can of worms...
crye-baby

Postby efahrenholz » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:54 pm

crye-baby wrote:What's your take on just calling Insight Tech & asking them to run the serial # for me guy's. Would that just open up another can of worms...

You can definitely call them and ask. Just don't tell them who you are if they start asking questions. Just hang up once you have your answer. I recall a story about an intensifier that someone sent into ITT to have serviced, and turned out it was government property and ITT sent it back to the gov't, and called the guy to tell him what happened...
efahrenholz

Postby crye-baby » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:58 pm

Yeah, doubt they would be much help. Havent been contacted by either party yet. In a perfect world the seller would work with me & give some answers...
crye-baby

Postby efahrenholz » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:46 pm

crye-baby wrote:Yeah, doubt they would be much help. Havent been contacted by either party yet. In a perfect world the seller would work with me & give some answers...

You really need to get the guys phone number to speak to him in person. Doing business through emails is the easy way for shy people to hide things that would slip out through actual spoken conversation. Typing things gives anybody an advantage to reformulate what they want to say. I could tell you I'm an astronaut, and I could even forge a bunch of details because I have plenty if time to do it before I hit send. That's just the way the Internet works with dishonest people.
efahrenholz

Postby Michael » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:33 pm

OK gentlemen, I have just spoken to Special Agent Patrick Manson with HSI. I have indeed verified that he and his inquiries are legitimate. As a matter of fact a similar discussion is being held in AR15.com http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_20/501856_IR_Laser_Law___Response_from_the_FDA.html&page=3 (scroll down to where dhs_hsi starts to post and go from there). Furthermore, Patrick will be posting additional information in this thread after this. crye-baby, I recommend cooperating to the extent of the law (nothing wrong with asking questions and requesting official paperwork, but not cooperating doesn't make sense). I feel your pain, since you have done nothing illegally, but what are you going to do? To the rest, why don't you wait and see what Patrick will post, feel free to discuss it reasonably, and STOP posting suggestions that can be interpreted as committing FELONY!!!
Michael
mike@opticshq.com
Michael
Site Admin

Postby crye-baby » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:07 pm

Thats all I need to here Michael, Thanks for your help. Im Sendind her to Mr. Manson. Sorry For any delay Sir.
crye-baby

PreviousNext

Return to General Night Vision Discussion