Troubleshooting an Eltro-Zeiss Fero-Z51/Orion.

Discuss night vision equipment and technology

Moderator: Michael

Troubleshooting an Eltro-Zeiss Fero-Z51/Orion.

Postby Tracer » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:46 am

So, I was gazing up into the night sky admiring the Milky Way with mine when I heard a faint "tic" and simultaneously the image disappeared and the high-pitched whine of the power supply stopped. No afterglow on the tube like normal when I turn off the power. Just instantly dead.

Prior to this event the unit performed flawlessly. It would power up with an image in a few seconds, nice and bright and clear. I had a usable image (albeit a gradually darkening image as the tube discharged) for up to 4 mins after power-Off and I could see sparkles near the center of the screen for up to 6 mins after power-Off.

I tried several pairs of new batteries but no joy. Not even the reticle lights up. I'm away from my tools but I removed the objective lens and a quick inspection shows no apparent visual faults (broken/shorted wires, burn marks).

Other than checking the continuity from the batteries to the power switch, and the power switch itself, does anyone have any other suggestions? Also, how the heck does one remove the tube? Does it come out the eyepiece end? I'm still trying to figure that out.
Tracer

Re: Troubleshooting an Eltro-Zeiss Fero-Z51/Orion.

Postby Tracer » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:26 pm

I've checked the continuity up to & through the power switch and everything is working normal. Looks like the tube has packed it in. I still haven't figured out how to remove it yet. I'm going to order a new tube plus a spare at the end of the month.

Does anyone know if frequent power cycling is detrimental to it? By that I mean turning it on for a quick look around for a couple of minutes, several times a night?
Tracer

Postby wellyot » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:36 am

never had one - but remember to take pics when you pull it apart then you can be sure where the wires went (also post a few here for us ) i dont think using it for a few minutes will hurt it when its working ok
wellyot

Postby Tracer » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:05 pm

Absolutely. They are surprisingly simple inside, there isn't much to them. I was thinking a small photo essay would be helpful to others down the road as these units continue to age. I'm going to order some tubes in November as I like to have spares.
Tracer

Return to General Night Vision Discussion